Sunday 17 February 2008

The Room

Skylight I woke in the corner of a room. The room was empty and there were no windows or doors. I had no idea where I was, what time it was, or what day it was. I shouted out "Hello, can anyone here me?" But there was just silence. I sat down in the corner where I was previously. I was thinking about what I did last night, but it was hard to remember. I paced back and forth, it felt like hours had past and nothing had changed at all in this room, until I heard a thumping noise against the wall. Thump, thump, thump - over and over again. I ran over to the wall were the noise was coming from. I started to shout "Hey, let me out of here." The second I started to do that the noise stopped. I keep banging and shouting on the wall hoping maybe whoever it was would help me but it was no use.


It seemed like a whole day had past and there had been no change. I was going mad; I started to slam myself against the wall hoping I would go right through it. With all my force and weight, it didn't even seem like I dented the wall at all. All of a sudden the room started to shake. I was getting thrown all over the place and could hardly keep my balance. I fell to the floor and was rolling around. I tried to get back up, but the room was shaking so much that I lost my balance and slammed my head against the wall and it knocked me out cold.


I woke up again, in what seemed to be the same place as the first time. There was nothing I could do, I was losing my mind and I couldn't go on. I had my back up against the wall, and it started to move forward slowly. I jumped up and looked and saw that all the walls were moving in. I started to panic and knew I only had a few minutes left. I looked above - high up there was no ceiling. I knew that was my chance but I had to act fast. When the walls were close enough I put one of my hands on one side and the other on the other side, and climbed up to the ceiling as fast as I could. The space was getting smaller but I had to make it. The ceiling was reachable, and I grabbed on to it and pulled myself up just before the walls completely closed in. I was relived to be out of there but it didn't seem to matter. I was in a bigger room, but this time there was a window down on the far end. I walked over to the window and looked through it. At first I couldn't believe my eyes: I saw a computer with words on it that were written like a story. That's when it hit me, I was not a person - I was a thought.


by Josh Campbell

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be worth checking out how this would sound in the present tense. Also, perhaps some more indication of what's coming in the story would help. At the moment the revelation seems almost comically random and out of the blue.

David Jackson said...

Have you read any of Alain Robbe-Grillet's work? In books like In the Labyrinth and The Erasers he uses repetition of physical props and scenes to create a hypnotic, lost feeling in the reader which I think this story is moving towards. Also Travels in the Scriptorium by Paul Auster (a big fan of Robbe-Grillet).

R-G once wrote that the characters in his novels knew they were characters, which I think is relevant to this.

Anonymous said...

I like this, but maybe the last sentence could have been incorporated in the rest of the story indstead?

Jeeva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeeva said...

hey man, I liked it.. i believe it must be one of your dream.